Tatsiana Hatsura-Yavorska released but investigation ongoing
While the director of the WATCH DOCS Belarus film festival Tatsiana Hatsura-Yavorska was released from a detention center in Minsk on April 15, she is still under investigation on charges that remain undetermined.
Currently she is banned from leaving Belarus. Prior to her release, her husband Volodymyr Yavorsky was forced to leave the country with their child; he has no right of return for 10 years.
In an open letter, the global film community expressed concern over Hatsura-Yavorska's arrest, along with that of other Belarusian human rights defenders.
The letter has been signed by the festivals associated in the Human Rights Film Network, the International Coalition for Filmmakers at Risk and other film festivals and institutions from around the world, including Berlinale, Sundance, and Marché du Film - Festival de Cannes - as of today, more than 180 organizations.
- Variety (21.04): https://variety.com/2021/film/global/tatsiana-hatsura-yavorska-arrest-watch-docs-belarus-1234956581/
- Screen Daily (16.04): https://www.screendaily.com/news/international-film-community-calls-for-release-of-belarusian-festival-director/5158883.article
- The Hollywood Reporter (16.04): https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/belarus-festival-director-tatsiana-hatsura-yavorska-released-after-international-outcry
- Deadline (16.04): https://deadline.com/2021/04/imprisoned-belarus-fest-director-tatsiana-hatsura-yavorska-released-international-outcry-1234735704/
- Variety (15.04): https://variety.com/2021/film/global/watch-docs-belarus-tatsiana-hatsura-yavorska-1234952273/
- Deadline (14.04): https://deadline.com/2021/04/call-for-release-imprisoned-belarus-fest-director-tatsiana-hatsura-yavorska-1234734095/
- The Guardian (13.04): https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/apr/13/tatsiana-tanya-hatsura-yavorskaya-belarus-minsk-watch-docs-film-festival